Nomination of four RS candidates from Assam found valid
Guwahati: The nomination papers of all four candidates for elections to three Rajya Sabha seats from Assam were found valid during scrutiny on Wednesday.
The nomination papers of two sitting members -- Congress Assam unit President Bhubaneswar Kalita and Bodo Peoples` Front (BPF) member Biswajit Daimary -- along with the other Congress nominee Sanjay Sinh and combined opposition candidate Haidar Hussain were found valid, Assam assembly Principal Secretary G P Das said.
Kalita, a three time Rajya Sabha member, and Lok Sabha Congress MP from Sultanpur Sanjay Sinh had filed their nomination papers yesterday while Congress supported BPF candidate Daimary had filed the papers on January 27.
In a rare show of unity, three opposition parties of the state assembly -- BJP, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) -- came together to nominate noted journalist Haidar Hussain as the fourth candidate who filed his papers on the last day of nominations yesterday.
The last day of withdrawal of nomination papers is January 31.
Elections for the three seats would be held on February 7 and the entire election process shall be completed by February 10.
The current term of sitting members Kalita, Daimary and AGP`s Birendra Prasad Baishya ends on April nine.
There are seven Rajya Sabha Seats from Assam with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh also representing the state in the Upper House.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview