Normal life hit by nation-wide strike in Assam
Guwahati: Normal life was affected in different parts of Assam on Wednesday on the first day of the two-day nation-wide strike called by Central trade unions.
While buses operated by private owners kept off the roads across the state, city buses began to ply as the day progressed along with the state-run buses.
Shops were closed in most areas, official sources said.
Shared taxi trekker service and cycle-rickshaws though they joined the strike call were operating a skeleton service, the sources said.
The auto-rickshaw union, however, decided to ply their vehicles in consideration of the difficulties to be faced by students taking the ongoing high school and higher secondary school leaving examinations.
Banks remained closed with employees keeping away from their work place, they said.
Train services operated as per schedule, N-F Railway sources said.
Flights also took off and landed as usual at the Lokppriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport here and five other airports in the state, they added.
No untoward incident has been reported so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof