North East Railways introduces green toilets
Guwahati: North East Frontier Railways has
inducted zero discharge bio-toilets or green toilets in 16
coaches of Guwahati-Chennai Express.
The toilets have been designed jointly by Indian Railways
and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to
ensure clean environment on railway tracks and platforms,
Railway Chief Public Relations Officer S Hajong said.
The toilets have been introduced in the train since
October 14 and will be introduced in others in a phased
With green toilets fitted in the coaches there will be no
discharge of human waste in platforms or at any place on the
route and prevent damage to the train tracks caused by
corrosion. Anaerobic bacteria inside the toilets will eat away
the waste and convert it into water and gas.
The water after passing through chlorine tank would be
discharged as pure water and the gas would be released into
the atmosphere, he said.
Bio toilets have already been introduced in selected
trains, including Rajdhani expresses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi