North East Railways introduces green toilets
Guwahati: North East Frontier Railways has
inducted zero discharge bio-toilets or green toilets in 16
coaches of Guwahati-Chennai Express.
The toilets have been designed jointly by Indian Railways
and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to
ensure clean environment on railway tracks and platforms,
Railway Chief Public Relations Officer S Hajong said.
The toilets have been introduced in the train since
October 14 and will be introduced in others in a phased
With green toilets fitted in the coaches there will be no
discharge of human waste in platforms or at any place on the
route and prevent damage to the train tracks caused by
corrosion. Anaerobic bacteria inside the toilets will eat away
the waste and convert it into water and gas.
The water after passing through chlorine tank would be
discharged as pure water and the gas would be released into
the atmosphere, he said.
Bio toilets have already been introduced in selected
trains, including Rajdhani expresses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah