North East Railways introduces green toilets
Guwahati: North East Frontier Railways has
inducted zero discharge bio-toilets or green toilets in 16
coaches of Guwahati-Chennai Express.
The toilets have been designed jointly by Indian Railways
and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to
ensure clean environment on railway tracks and platforms,
Railway Chief Public Relations Officer S Hajong said.
The toilets have been introduced in the train since
October 14 and will be introduced in others in a phased
With green toilets fitted in the coaches there will be no
discharge of human waste in platforms or at any place on the
route and prevent damage to the train tracks caused by
corrosion. Anaerobic bacteria inside the toilets will eat away
the waste and convert it into water and gas.
The water after passing through chlorine tank would be
discharged as pure water and the gas would be released into
the atmosphere, he said.
Bio toilets have already been introduced in selected
trains, including Rajdhani expresses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- `IS child bomber` behind Turkey wedding blast, claims President
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon