North East Railways introduces green toilets
Guwahati: North East Frontier Railways has
inducted zero discharge bio-toilets or green toilets in 16
coaches of Guwahati-Chennai Express.
The toilets have been designed jointly by Indian Railways
and Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) to
ensure clean environment on railway tracks and platforms,
Railway Chief Public Relations Officer S Hajong said.
The toilets have been introduced in the train since
October 14 and will be introduced in others in a phased
With green toilets fitted in the coaches there will be no
discharge of human waste in platforms or at any place on the
route and prevent damage to the train tracks caused by
corrosion. Anaerobic bacteria inside the toilets will eat away
the waste and convert it into water and gas.
The water after passing through chlorine tank would be
discharged as pure water and the gas would be released into
the atmosphere, he said.
Bio toilets have already been introduced in selected
trains, including Rajdhani expresses.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Centuries-old fair symbolising maize blossom begins in Himachal
- 2016 Olympics: Russia escape blanket ban, but IOC bars whistle-blower from Rio Games
- Pakistan Daily calls Nawaz Sharif's statement on Kashmir 'wishful thinking and unrealistic'
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Record fifth win sends Lewis Hamilton top
- Olympian predicts record medal haul from Indian shooters at 2016 Rio Games