Off-campus PhD degrees not to be recognised: Assam
Guwahati: With a view to maintaining standard in teaching, Assam government has decided to go for quality parameters under which, off-campus PhD degrees will not be recognised during recruitment and promotion of faculty.
Even serving faculties with off-campus PhD degrees who have got time-scale promotions during recent years will be affected, state Education and Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said in the Assembly today.
"In the past few years we have seen a rising trend of research scholars opting for universities where rules are relaxed and there is less academic pressure. In many cases, even to find details about such universities is a work of research in itself," Sarma said.
"Such scholars are not capable of proper research work, and when confronted they seek excuse in the name of `humanity` and even threaten to commit suicide at times. If we do not take steps against such blackmailing, the education scenario will only worsen," he said.
"Those who have got promotions due to PhD secured in off-campus stream, will also be affected. No doubt it will create some issues, but we are going as per UGC rules," he said.
"The state government will form a committee, which will prepare a list of teachers having off-campus PhDs after contacting principals of all colleges, who will be served notices and we will take action," Sarma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you