One killed, 4 injured in police firing in Assam
Morigaon: One person was killed and four others were injured Tuesday when police opened fire to quell violence involving two groups over fishing in a leased out natural water body in the district.
"One person identified as Biswajit Bordoloi (19) was killed and four others injured," Superintendent of Police Ainul Haque told PTI adding, the wounded were admitted to Morigaon Civil Hospital.
At around 10.30 AM, nearly 5000 people gathered at Tetelia Kordoi Beel and tried to forcibly catch fish there, he said.
When the employees of the lessee of the water body tried to prevent them from fishing, the two sides clashes, Haque said.
They continued to attack each other even after police resorted to lathicharge and firing of rubber bullets, he said, adding, to control the situation police fired five rounds of bullets.
Additional security men have been posted in the area and the situation was now under control, Haque said.
The fishery department leases out water bodies for fishing and sale of the fish in the market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened