One killed, 4 injured in police firing in Assam
Morigaon: One person was killed and four others were injured Tuesday when police opened fire to quell violence involving two groups over fishing in a leased out natural water body in the district.
"One person identified as Biswajit Bordoloi (19) was killed and four others injured," Superintendent of Police Ainul Haque told PTI adding, the wounded were admitted to Morigaon Civil Hospital.
At around 10.30 AM, nearly 5000 people gathered at Tetelia Kordoi Beel and tried to forcibly catch fish there, he said.
When the employees of the lessee of the water body tried to prevent them from fishing, the two sides clashes, Haque said.
They continued to attack each other even after police resorted to lathicharge and firing of rubber bullets, he said, adding, to control the situation police fired five rounds of bullets.
Additional security men have been posted in the area and the situation was now under control, Haque said.
The fishery department leases out water bodies for fishing and sale of the fish in the market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060