One killed, 4 injured in police firing in Assam
Morigaon: One person was killed and four others were injured Tuesday when police opened fire to quell violence involving two groups over fishing in a leased out natural water body in the district.
"One person identified as Biswajit Bordoloi (19) was killed and four others injured," Superintendent of Police Ainul Haque told PTI adding, the wounded were admitted to Morigaon Civil Hospital.
At around 10.30 AM, nearly 5000 people gathered at Tetelia Kordoi Beel and tried to forcibly catch fish there, he said.
When the employees of the lessee of the water body tried to prevent them from fishing, the two sides clashes, Haque said.
They continued to attack each other even after police resorted to lathicharge and firing of rubber bullets, he said, adding, to control the situation police fired five rounds of bullets.
Additional security men have been posted in the area and the situation was now under control, Haque said.
The fishery department leases out water bodies for fishing and sale of the fish in the market.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...