One killed, 4 injured in police firing in Assam
Morigaon: One person was killed and four others were injured Tuesday when police opened fire to quell violence involving two groups over fishing in a leased out natural water body in the district.
"One person identified as Biswajit Bordoloi (19) was killed and four others injured," Superintendent of Police Ainul Haque told PTI adding, the wounded were admitted to Morigaon Civil Hospital.
At around 10.30 AM, nearly 5000 people gathered at Tetelia Kordoi Beel and tried to forcibly catch fish there, he said.
When the employees of the lessee of the water body tried to prevent them from fishing, the two sides clashes, Haque said.
They continued to attack each other even after police resorted to lathicharge and firing of rubber bullets, he said, adding, to control the situation police fired five rounds of bullets.
Additional security men have been posted in the area and the situation was now under control, Haque said.
The fishery department leases out water bodies for fishing and sale of the fish in the market.
- In fight against impeachment, Brazil President Dilma Rousseff tries to win left support
- Uttarakhand forest fire: IAF's chopper MI-17 takes off from Nainital to drop water in affected areas - WATCH
- Inside pictures: Check out the best moments from Bipasha-Karan's wedding, reception
- See pic: NASA releases updated global map of Pluto!
- PM Narendra Modi launches 'Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana' on Labour Day, calls himself no. 1 labourer of India