One killed another injured in firing by Forest guards
Nagaon: One person was killed and another injured when Forest department guards fired at the duo suspecting them to be poachers at Salbari forest in Nagaon district, official sources said on Sunday.
The duo - Ladruz Ekka and Moloy Das of Kellyden village had gone to Salbari forest to collect firewood when the incident occurred last evening, the sources said.
"Forest guards fired upon them thinking that they were poachers. Ekka died, while Das was seriously injured in the unfortunate incident and has been shifted to GMC Hospital in Guwahati," they said.
Hearing the news, locals became angry and set on fire the Salbari forest office.
When police from Kaliabor reached the spot, they were also attacked but the situation was brought under control later, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid