One killed by elephant in Udalguri district in Assam
Udalguri: One person was trampled to death by an elephant which got isolated from its herd that destroyed some houses and standing crop in Udalguri district of Assam early Saturday morning, the police said.
The person identified as Fagu Munda (55) was guarding his paddy field from elephant menace and had come down from his `machan`atop a tree at Bamunjuli village, to light firewood to keep warm, the police said.
The pachyderm then dragged Munda with its truck and then trampled him to death, they said.
The herd of wild elephants had come out of Bornadi Wildlife Santuary situated on the foothills of the Himalayas bordering Bhutan.
After creating havoc in the area destroying some thatched houses and rice fields at Bamunjuli, the herd went back to the forest leaving behind one of them, the police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened