One killed by elephant in Udalguri district in Assam
Udalguri: One person was trampled to death by an elephant which got isolated from its herd that destroyed some houses and standing crop in Udalguri district of Assam early Saturday morning, the police said.
The person identified as Fagu Munda (55) was guarding his paddy field from elephant menace and had come down from his `machan`atop a tree at Bamunjuli village, to light firewood to keep warm, the police said.
The pachyderm then dragged Munda with its truck and then trampled him to death, they said.
The herd of wild elephants had come out of Bornadi Wildlife Santuary situated on the foothills of the Himalayas bordering Bhutan.
After creating havoc in the area destroying some thatched houses and rice fields at Bamunjuli, the herd went back to the forest leaving behind one of them, the police said.
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match
- Congress may project Priyanka Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi as its CM candidate for UP polls 2017