One killed, five injured in police firing in Assam
Goalpara: One person was killed and five others were injured as police opened fired to disperse protesters who had set afire a bus while blocking National Highway 37 at Krishnai in Goalpara district on Thursday.
The trouble started when the demonstrators, demanding exclusion of non Rabha-Hasong villages from the upcoming Rabha-Hasong Autonomous Council elections, set ablaze a long distance bus and refused to lift their blockade on the highway despite hundreds of vehicles being stranded on both sides of the road, officials said.
Police used lathicharge and then opened fire at the volent protesters killing a person identified as Sahidul Islam (22) and injuring five, who were hospitalised, they said, adding the stir was being organised by several non- Rabha-Hasong organisations.
Protests also took place in Lakhipur area against the polls and demonstrators burnt effigies of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi.
Violence broke out in Goalpara district on October 20 following the announcement of the Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council elections there, the first since its formation 18 years ago.
The council polls are scheduled to be held in three phases from November 13 to 25 next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II