One killed in IED blast in Assam; ULFA hand suspected
Zee Media Bureau
Goalpara: At least one person was killed and three others were injured when an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast took place in Assam`s Goalpara district on Wednesday morning.
The blast is triggered by militants suspected to be from an ULFA faction opposed to peace talks.
The militants planted a powerful bomb on a bicycle outside a small tea stall in Krishnai police station area of the district, police said, adding that four persons were injured in the blast. One of the injured later died at the hospital, police said.
"The militants wanted to target the police and the security forces. We have been carrying out a series of anti-insurgency operations in and around the district for the past several days,"said Goalpara Superintendent of Police Nitul Gogoi.
"The anti-talks faction of the ULFA has been trying to disrupt the peace ahead of the Independence Day and today`s blast is a part of their evil design," Gogoi added.
The three injured are out of danger, he said.
The deceased was identified as Mujibur Rahman. The three injured have been identified as Akhtar Hussain, Kashimuddin and Jehrul Islam.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NT Awards 2016: Zeenews.com bags 'Best News Channel Website' honour
- Son of Kota Central jail prisoner clears IIT entrance exam
- Cabinet approves Act allowing malls, restaurants, theaters to stay open 24×7
- New framework that can predict terrorist attacks developed!
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- WOAH! Gautam Gambhir absolutely destroys Ravi Shastri - Here are his scathing comments
- Unsure if monetary policy panel to set rates in August: Raghuram Rajan
- German Bakery blast: Maha Govt. challenges Bombay HC order in SC
- Chinese woman gives birth to a baby girl from embryo frozen 18 years ago
- Spirituality helps you transform into a better human – Here’s how