One killed, two injured in Assam shooting
Guwahati: One person was killed and two were injured when suspected Bodo insurgents, opposed to peace talks, fired indiscriminately at a group of people in Assam`s Kokrajhar district Sunday, police said.
The attack took place at a village near Kazigaon, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) S.N. Singh said.
"According to residents, armed militants came and started indiscriminate firing, leading to the death of one villager on the spot and injury to two other villagers," he said.
"The anti-talks faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), led by I.K. Songbijit, has been carrying out subversive activities like abduction and extortion in all the four districts of the Bodoland Territorial Areas Districts (BTAD) and we suspect their hand behind this incident too," Singh said.
Singh said villagers recently lynched two cadres of the NDFB faction which is opposed to any peace talks, when they came to extort money from a businessman.
Militants recently abducted two troopers of the Sashastra Seema Bal from the area and police later recovered their bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy?
- Why is India indulging in peace talks with Pak despite its terrorism-inducing diplomacy? - Part II
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- England vs Pakistan, 2nd Test: Hosts lead by 489 at 3rd day close
- Kashmir violence: Avoid using pellet guns against protesters as far as possible, Rajnath Singh tells security forces
- Pakistan spinner Mohammad Hafeez to undergo retest on modified bowling action
- Elderly woman found murdered in Delhi
- IAF's mising AN-32 transporter: Satellites provide pointers, but no signs of aircraft yet