One killed, two injured in Assam shooting
Guwahati: One person was killed and two were injured when suspected Bodo insurgents, opposed to peace talks, fired indiscriminately at a group of people in Assam`s Kokrajhar district Sunday, police said.
The attack took place at a village near Kazigaon, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) S.N. Singh said.
"According to residents, armed militants came and started indiscriminate firing, leading to the death of one villager on the spot and injury to two other villagers," he said.
"The anti-talks faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), led by I.K. Songbijit, has been carrying out subversive activities like abduction and extortion in all the four districts of the Bodoland Territorial Areas Districts (BTAD) and we suspect their hand behind this incident too," Singh said.
Singh said villagers recently lynched two cadres of the NDFB faction which is opposed to any peace talks, when they came to extort money from a businessman.
Militants recently abducted two troopers of the Sashastra Seema Bal from the area and police later recovered their bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in