One killed, two injured in Assam shooting
Guwahati: One person was killed and two were injured when suspected Bodo insurgents, opposed to peace talks, fired indiscriminately at a group of people in Assam`s Kokrajhar district Sunday, police said.
The attack took place at a village near Kazigaon, Inspector General of Police (Law and Order) S.N. Singh said.
"According to residents, armed militants came and started indiscriminate firing, leading to the death of one villager on the spot and injury to two other villagers," he said.
"The anti-talks faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), led by I.K. Songbijit, has been carrying out subversive activities like abduction and extortion in all the four districts of the Bodoland Territorial Areas Districts (BTAD) and we suspect their hand behind this incident too," Singh said.
Singh said villagers recently lynched two cadres of the NDFB faction which is opposed to any peace talks, when they came to extort money from a businessman.
Militants recently abducted two troopers of the Sashastra Seema Bal from the area and police later recovered their bodies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok