One tribunal states parents Indian, another says son foreigner
Guwahati: In a strange case, a man has been declared a foreigner by the Foreigners Tribunal, while his parents were declared Indian citizens by an erstwhile tribunal in Assam, the Assembly was informed on Monday.
While the parents were declared Indian nationals by Illegal Migrants (Determination) Tribunal in 2003, their son was declared a foreigner seven years later by the Foreigners Tribunal.
"Yes, it is true that Mainal Molla, son of Ashan Molla, resident of village Kakodhowa, police station Tarabari, has been declared to be a foreigner in FT Case No 380/06 vide ex-parte judgement and order dated 16/02/10 of Foreigners Tribunal (2nd tribunal), Barpeta," Panchayat and Rural Development Minister Rockybul Hussain said.
Replying on behalf of Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi who also holds the Home portfolio, Hussain said this to a query by AIUDF MLA Sherman Ali Ahmed.
The Gauhati High Court twice rejected review petitions of Mainul Molla in 2013 and 2014, the minister said.
About his parents, Hussain said, Ashan Molla and Manowara Begum were declared Indian citizens by the then Illegal Migrants (D) Tribunal, Barpeta in 2003 with case numbers 1078/03 and 1076/03 respectively.
The IM(D) Tribunals were constituted under the Illegal Migrants (Determination by Tribunals) Act, 1983, which was struck down by the Supreme Court on July 12, 2005.
The minister, however, did not inform the House what followed next and whether Mainul was deported or not.
To another question by BJP MLA Ranjit Kumar Das, Hussain said a total of 4,57,377 cases were registered in Foreigners Tribunals since 1985 to June 30, 2014.
"Out of these, judgements in 2,06,201 cases have been pronounced," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing