One woman injured, houses damaged in Guwahati landslides
Guwahati: A woman was injured and several houses were damaged in landslides in different parts of Guwahati following incessant rains.
The woman was injured when a stone wall above her house on a hill in Kamakhya area collapsed as the soil underneath it loosened due to the rains, police said.
Four other houses were also damaged in the area, police said.
In nearby Pandu area, five thatched houses were flattened in yet another landslide, but none was hurt.
Some other houses were also reported to have been damaged in the Pub-Sarania Hill area due to another landslide.
Rain waters caused water-logging in a large part of the city, including on arterial GS Road, GNB Road and RG Barooah Road besides in residential areas of Anil Nagar, Tarun Nagar, Pilingakata, Nabin Nagar, Lachit Nagar, Rajgarh Road and other low-lying areas.
Angry locals blocked the road at Anil Nagar, demanding that the civic authorities address the artificial floods.
Rain water rolling down from neighbouring Meghalaya hills also submerged Pilingakata area of the city along the inter-state boundary, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH