Operation Blue Star was not necessary: KPS Gill
Tezpur: Army should not have been used in anti-insurgency operations in Punjab and Assam as it created mistrust between security forces and civil society, former Director General of Police K P S Gill today said.
"Operation Blue Star in Punjab and Operation Bajrang in Assam were not necessary," Gill said.
"The operations were hijacked from the police administration creating a mistrust between the police, security forces and civil society. As a result, many innocent people lost their lives," he added.
The former Punjab Police chief said that police should have been given a chance to deal with the problem.
"The police could have dealt with it, if more power was given to them and if they had cooperation from all concerned, including the government and the society," Gill said during his visit here as the Chief Patron of North East Sports Foundation.
Operation Blue Star was carried out by the army to clear the Golden temple complex in Amritsar of Sikh militants in 1984.
Gill, who had served in Assam, claimed Bangladeshi infiltration has always been a major concern in the region and was the main cause of the different agitations.
"There is an urgent need to check Bangladeshi infiltration as extremists from the North East have taken advantage of this situation using Bangladesh as a major hideout over the years to make the region a trouble torn area," he added.
"When I was Superintendent of Police in Nowgong district, during 1961 to 1964, I detected about one lakh suspected Bangladeshi nationals," the former police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP