Opposition call indefinite bandh over `anomalies` in panchayat polls
Rangiya (Assam): Alleging anomalies in the counting of votes for the panchayat poll, Opposition AIUDF, BJP, AGP and Left parties have called for an indefinite bandh in Rangiya area of Kamrup Rural district from Thursday.
While a total of 23,493 votes were cast during the polls for the Pub Rangiya Zilla Parishad seat, the number of votes counted were shown to be 24,181, CPI(M) leader Ananta Deka claimed.
He alleged that the anomaly was created to help the ruling Congress win the seat in the just-concluded panchayat polls.
The seat was won by Debabrata Kalita, who is the brother of local MLA and Congress leader Ghanashyam Kalita.
Deka demanded re-poll in the seat and punishment for District Returning Officer and Rangiya SDO Barnali Deka.
Meanwhile, hundreds of workers of Opposition parties have been gheraoing the SDO`s office here since last evening in protest against the alleged anomalies.
With the situation in the town tense, steps have been taken to ensure smooth train services as most trains to rest of the country from Assam pass through the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly