Opposition call indefinite bandh over `anomalies` in panchayat polls
Rangiya (Assam): Alleging anomalies in the counting of votes for the panchayat poll, Opposition AIUDF, BJP, AGP and Left parties have called for an indefinite bandh in Rangiya area of Kamrup Rural district from Thursday.
While a total of 23,493 votes were cast during the polls for the Pub Rangiya Zilla Parishad seat, the number of votes counted were shown to be 24,181, CPI(M) leader Ananta Deka claimed.
He alleged that the anomaly was created to help the ruling Congress win the seat in the just-concluded panchayat polls.
The seat was won by Debabrata Kalita, who is the brother of local MLA and Congress leader Ghanashyam Kalita.
Deka demanded re-poll in the seat and punishment for District Returning Officer and Rangiya SDO Barnali Deka.
Meanwhile, hundreds of workers of Opposition parties have been gheraoing the SDO`s office here since last evening in protest against the alleged anomalies.
With the situation in the town tense, steps have been taken to ensure smooth train services as most trains to rest of the country from Assam pass through the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible