Opposition call indefinite bandh over `anomalies` in panchayat polls
Rangiya (Assam): Alleging anomalies in the counting of votes for the panchayat poll, Opposition AIUDF, BJP, AGP and Left parties have called for an indefinite bandh in Rangiya area of Kamrup Rural district from Thursday.
While a total of 23,493 votes were cast during the polls for the Pub Rangiya Zilla Parishad seat, the number of votes counted were shown to be 24,181, CPI(M) leader Ananta Deka claimed.
He alleged that the anomaly was created to help the ruling Congress win the seat in the just-concluded panchayat polls.
The seat was won by Debabrata Kalita, who is the brother of local MLA and Congress leader Ghanashyam Kalita.
Deka demanded re-poll in the seat and punishment for District Returning Officer and Rangiya SDO Barnali Deka.
Meanwhile, hundreds of workers of Opposition parties have been gheraoing the SDO`s office here since last evening in protest against the alleged anomalies.
With the situation in the town tense, steps have been taken to ensure smooth train services as most trains to rest of the country from Assam pass through the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption
- Clinton says emails, foundation ties not a threat to her White House bid
- From Olympic glory to jail: Oscar Pistorius' bid to challenge six-year jail term fails
- Piers Morgan TWEETS AGAIN: UK journalist takes credit for PM Modi setting up task force for next three Olympics
- MS Dhoni says it will be an interesting series against `extraordinary` West Indies