Opposition walks out in Assam Assembly
Guwahati: The entire opposition in the Assam Assembly staged a walkout on Saturday protesting over not being allowed to discuss the recent violence in Golghat district along the Assam-Nagaland border and the killing of a school girl by NDFB-Songbijit militants in Chirang district.
An uproarious situation prevailed in the House with opposition MLAs protesting that they were not being allowed to discuss two such important matters of public interest despite them appealing to the Speaker in advance for discussing the issues today.
BJP's Prasanta Phukan alleged that the government was adopting an escapist attitude by not participating in the discussion on the two important issues.
Phuka said the talks should have been allowed as Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on August 25 assured the House to discuss the two issues today.
A noisy scene prevailed with the opposition MLAs shouting against not being allowed to discuss the issues and nothing could be heard in the din.
Parliamentary Minister Nilamani Sen Deka said the two issues could not be discussed as per law for they were sub-judice with Opposition AGP's Jagadish Bhuyan and Zoii Nath Sarma filing a PIL in the Gauhati High Court on August 25 on the incident of police firing at Rangajan in Golaghat district on August 19 and 20.
The killing of the 16-year old school girl could not be discussed as a case was filed in the Assam Human Rights Commission on the issue by another AGP leader Kamala Kalita, Deka said.
In protest, the entire opposition comprising 44 MLAs from AIUDF, AGP, BJP and BPF staged a walkout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video