Opposition walks out in Assam Assembly
Guwahati: The entire opposition in the Assam Assembly staged a walkout on Saturday protesting over not being allowed to discuss the recent violence in Golghat district along the Assam-Nagaland border and the killing of a school girl by NDFB-Songbijit militants in Chirang district.
An uproarious situation prevailed in the House with opposition MLAs protesting that they were not being allowed to discuss two such important matters of public interest despite them appealing to the Speaker in advance for discussing the issues today.
BJP's Prasanta Phukan alleged that the government was adopting an escapist attitude by not participating in the discussion on the two important issues.
Phuka said the talks should have been allowed as Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi had on August 25 assured the House to discuss the two issues today.
A noisy scene prevailed with the opposition MLAs shouting against not being allowed to discuss the issues and nothing could be heard in the din.
Parliamentary Minister Nilamani Sen Deka said the two issues could not be discussed as per law for they were sub-judice with Opposition AGP's Jagadish Bhuyan and Zoii Nath Sarma filing a PIL in the Gauhati High Court on August 25 on the incident of police firing at Rangajan in Golaghat district on August 19 and 20.
The killing of the 16-year old school girl could not be discussed as a case was filed in the Assam Human Rights Commission on the issue by another AGP leader Kamala Kalita, Deka said.
In protest, the entire opposition comprising 44 MLAs from AIUDF, AGP, BJP and BPF staged a walkout.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part IV
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- PM Narendra Modi takes his place alongside other world leaders at Madame Tussauds
- Indra Nooyi, Satya Nadella, Bhavesh Patel among highest paid CEOs in world
- Oh fresh! You can't afford to miss these pictures from Bipasha Basu, Karan Singh Grover's pooja ceremony
- 7th Pay Commission: New pay scales to put extra burden of Rs 1.02 lakh cr in FY17
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 24: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders — As it happened...