Orders have been issued to restore normalcy in BTAD: Gogoi
Guwahati: Expressing concern over the violence in the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said he was closely monitoring the situation and directed officials to restore normalcy in these districts.
"I have reviewed the situation with my ministers and senior officials and have directed them to bring the situation under control at the earliest," Gogoi told reporters here.
Six persons have died in the violence that erupted on November 10 in the BTAD areas after nearly a three-month lull.
The Chief Minister also held discussion with 4 Corps General Officer Commanding C A Krishnan about the required steps to be initiated to restore law and order.
The Army officer informed the chief minister that he would visit BTAD tomorrow to get first hand assessment of the prevailing situation.
DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury would visit Kokrajhar tomorrow to take stock of the law and order situation there and report the matter to him immediately.
Gogoi asked the DGP to take strong punitive action against anyone involved in violence in the BTAD areas.
Minister for Industries and Power Pradyut Bordoloi has already left for the violence-hit areas today and the Group of Ministers constituted for relief and rehabilitation in BTAD areas would also visit soon to take stock of the situation.
Gogoi said the government has been examining reports about the alleged involvement of some leaders in the resumption of violence in BTAD.
Earlier, Assam`s four BTAD districts and Dhubri were affected by widespread violence between Bodos and illegal migrant minorities which left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless in July-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared