Orders have been issued to restore normalcy in BTAD: Gogoi
Guwahati: Expressing concern over the violence in the Bodoland Territorial Administered Districts, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said he was closely monitoring the situation and directed officials to restore normalcy in these districts.
"I have reviewed the situation with my ministers and senior officials and have directed them to bring the situation under control at the earliest," Gogoi told reporters here.
Six persons have died in the violence that erupted on November 10 in the BTAD areas after nearly a three-month lull.
The Chief Minister also held discussion with 4 Corps General Officer Commanding C A Krishnan about the required steps to be initiated to restore law and order.
The Army officer informed the chief minister that he would visit BTAD tomorrow to get first hand assessment of the prevailing situation.
DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury would visit Kokrajhar tomorrow to take stock of the law and order situation there and report the matter to him immediately.
Gogoi asked the DGP to take strong punitive action against anyone involved in violence in the BTAD areas.
Minister for Industries and Power Pradyut Bordoloi has already left for the violence-hit areas today and the Group of Ministers constituted for relief and rehabilitation in BTAD areas would also visit soon to take stock of the situation.
Gogoi said the government has been examining reports about the alleged involvement of some leaders in the resumption of violence in BTAD.
Earlier, Assam`s four BTAD districts and Dhubri were affected by widespread violence between Bodos and illegal migrant minorities which left 90 people dead and more than 4.80 lakh homeless in July-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof