Organise book fairs to inculcate reading habit: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today called for holding book fairs to increase the habit of reading among the people.
"We have to inculcate the habit of reading by organising book fairs in places where literacy percentage is abysmally low," Gogoi said here while inaugurating the Guwahati Literary Festival and Book Fair 2012.
The chief minister said a vibrant and resilient society could be created through literary and cultural activities.
Gogoi urged writers to play a pro-active role in bringing about a congenial atmosphere in the state and urged them not to write anything that escalated tension in society.
"You have the right to freedom of expression but you must do it with social responsibility. It should not create ill feelings and lead to aggravation of the situation," he added.
Regarding electronic media and e-books, Gogoi said the power of the printed word would never diminish.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report