Over 180 Maoist cadres in Assam: Police
Guwahati: At least 180 Maoist cadres, including 23 females, have built up a number of front organisations to spread its tentacles and form ties with ULFA, police said Friday.
"A task force on Maoist activities in the state was formed and they have submitted details of 181 Maoist cadre in the state," Assam Police IGP (Central Western Region) L R Bishnoi said here.
He said, "Among the cadre, 23 are women and many of them are political workers."
The Left-wing extremists are mainly active in upper Assam districts, parts of Kamrup Rural and Goalpara districts of lower Assam.
"Since 1996, Maoists have been trying to form their base and built up Upper Assam Leading Committee and Lower Assam Leading Committee," Bishnoi said.
The IGP said that today`s arrest of CPI (Maoist) Central Committee member Aklanta Rabha in Guwahati has been a major success in the anti-Maoist effort.
Bishnoi said as per interrogation reports of Rabha, Maoists have a five-pronged strategy in Assam and North Eastern region and have closer relations with ULFA.
Maoists are also exploring ways to buy arms from ULFA, play a mediocre role among militant outfits of North East and unite them, form a People`s Guerilla Army unit, and setp up camps in Arunachal Pradesh, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case