Over 30 dead, 10 lakh displaced in Assam floods
Guwahati: More than 30 people have died and as many as 10 lakh have been displaced in the flood in Assam - the worst in more than a decade.
The Centre on Saturday reviewed the grim flood situation and assured all help to the state government to tide over the crisis.
Cabinet Secretary Ajit Seth chaired a meeting of top Central officials to assess the unprecedented floods in the state. Assam Chief Secretary P C Sharma and state government officials participated in the meeting via video-conference.
An official spokesperson said the floods have damaged railway lines in some parts of the state and action was being taken to restore the same.
The spokesperson said there was adequate stock of food grains in the state.
However, the Centre has assured all possible help to the state government in dealing with the situation, the spokesperson said.
The meeting was attended by Home Secretary R K Singh, Defence Secretary Shashi Kant Sharma, Health Secretary P K Pradhan, Water Resources Secretary D V Singh, Railway Board Chairman V K Mittal and Director General Border Roads Organisation S Ravi Shankar among others.
The Home Ministry, on Friday, had deployed 15 teams of the National Disaster Response Force comprising 548 personnel along with 60 boats and other necessary equipment to carry out rescue and relief operations in the flood-hit districts of the state.
Around 11 lakh people in 2,084 villages in 22 districts are in the grip of the worst floods since 2004, which have destroyed standing crops in over 43,400 hectares, state government officials said.
As many as 173 relief camps have far been set up so far for the succour of the flood victims.
An Indian Air Force helicopter has been deployed for air dropping food packets and rescue the marooned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt