Pakistan agencies pressurising ULFA for action: Assam DGP
Guwahati: Pakistan agencies are pressurising Paresh Barua-led ULFA faction for "action" and the two recent grenade blasts in Assam are a result of this, according to state Director General of Police Jayanta Narayan Choudhury.
"We have intelligence inputs that agencies in Pakistan are putting pressure on the Paresh Barua-led ULFA to carry out subversive activities in the run-up to Independence Day", Choudhury told a local news channel here today.
``There is constant pressure on ULFA to act and the outfit is also keen to prove that they exist as a force in the state and that they can do something subversive", he said.
Choudhury, however, pointed out it may not necessarily be the government of Pakistan but "certain agencies" and officials there are exerting pressure on Barua.
The ULFA `Commander-in-Chief` Paresh Barua has sent about ten to twelve boys to the state with the task of exploding grenades and the recent serial blasts in Lakhimpur followed by the one in Karbi Anglong are a part of this operation, the DGP said.
There is an intelligence report that more blasts may take place in the run-up to August 15 with Guwahati being a "natural target".
The police have already arrested four persons, including an ULFA cadre and three surrendered members of the outfit in connection with the Lakhimpur while another militant, who was given the task of carrying out a blast in Dibrugarh, has already surrendered.
Security in vulnerable areas along and main `chowk` points have been tightened with checking and patrolling intensified while intelligence has been geared up.
CCTVs have already been installed in 91 locations in Guwahati and there are plans to increase it in more areas, particularly in high-security zones like in and around the capital complex in Dispur.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has convened a high-level security meeting this evening, official sources said here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video