Pandemonium in Assam assembly
Guwahati: Pandemonium prevailed in the opening day of the budget session of Assam assembly on Thursday and governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik`s customary address was disrupted with the entire opposition protesting against the mention of D (doubtful) voters in his speech.
As the governor read out his address, the opposition All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and BJP members objected to the mention of `D` voters in the speech.
Sirajuddin Ajmal (AIUDF), Phani Bhusan Choudhury and Pradip Hazarika (AGP) supported by the opposition MLAs alleged that the government had failed to address the issue as a result of which "genuine" citizens were deprived from voting.
The governor had said that the matter of `D`-voters was of "concern" as a large number of them have been found to be "genuine Indians subsequently".
"Steps will be taken to ensure that genuine Indians who have been identified as D-voters are allowed to exercise all their rights as such citizens, including their right to vote", he said.
With speaker Pranab Gogoi trying to disuade the opposition members from disrupting the governor`s speech, the ruckus continued forcing the house to take the address as read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing