Pandemonium in Assam assembly
Guwahati: Pandemonium prevailed in the opening day of the budget session of Assam assembly on Thursday and governor Janaki Ballav Patnaik`s customary address was disrupted with the entire opposition protesting against the mention of D (doubtful) voters in his speech.
As the governor read out his address, the opposition All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF), Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) and BJP members objected to the mention of `D` voters in the speech.
Sirajuddin Ajmal (AIUDF), Phani Bhusan Choudhury and Pradip Hazarika (AGP) supported by the opposition MLAs alleged that the government had failed to address the issue as a result of which "genuine" citizens were deprived from voting.
The governor had said that the matter of `D`-voters was of "concern" as a large number of them have been found to be "genuine Indians subsequently".
"Steps will be taken to ensure that genuine Indians who have been identified as D-voters are allowed to exercise all their rights as such citizens, including their right to vote", he said.
With speaker Pranab Gogoi trying to disuade the opposition members from disrupting the governor`s speech, the ruckus continued forcing the house to take the address as read.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested