Paresh Barua`s mother, family vote in Assam elections
Jeraigaon: Her rebel son may have
issued a threat to ruling Congress candidates but ULFA
`military chief` Paresh Barua`s octogenarian mother Miliki
Baruah on Monday cast her vote in the first phase of assembly
polls in Assam, saying she had always faith in democracy.
"In spite of my frail health, I`ve voted in every
election and I have faith in democracy. It is our duty to
elect good candidates who can work for the uplift of people,"
said Miliki, accompanied by her daughter-in-law and
granddaughter, after casting her vote at Chakalighariya LP
School in Chabua constituency of Dibrugarh district.
She urged the government to ensure that Paresh and all
his boys returned and as did peace to the state.
"The government should take steps to bring back all
the boys back to the state," Miliki said.
Her youngest son Bikul Baruah, a school teacher, with
whom she lived, was on election duty as a polling officer at
the Rashtriya Bhasa Vidyalaya polling station in Duliajan
constituency of the district and had to use the postal ballot
to exercise his franchise.
Her two older sons Bimal Baruah, an employee at the
army`s supply depot at Panitola, and Pradip Baruah, also an
army man, voted along with five family members.
Paresh`s sister Hirawati Baruah Chetia had won the
last panchayat polls on an AGP ticket and is a member of
Panitola-Barhola Anchalik Panchayat in neighbouring Tinsukia
The Paresh Barua faction of the ULFA had issued a
threat to the Congress for the ongoing polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic