Parliamentary team concerned over rhino killings in Kaziranga
Kaziranga: Expressing serious concern over the killing of rhinos by poachers at the Kaziranga National Park, a parliamentary standing committee team has assured to take up the matter with the concerned central ministries for tackling the poaching menace.
A member of the high-level eight-member team of the Ministry of Petroleum, Oil and Natural Gas visiting Kaziranga told reporters today that they assured the KNP authority to take up their concern to the departments responsible for finding immediate solution to poaching that killed over 34 rhinos since January this year.
The team discussed with the KNP authority on how to stop the killing and preserve the Great Indian One-horn Rhinoceros in their habitat in the World Heritage Site here.
The team also went on an elephant safari in the Park`s Kohora Range densely populated with wild animals, including the endangered rhino, KNP Director Niranjan Kumar Vasu said.
The Parliamentary Standing Committee comprised five Lok Sabha MPs Sudarshan Bhagat, Kali Ram Yadav, Manda Jaganath, Soma Bhai Kouli Patil and Rao Sahab Gandhi Patil, besides three Rajya Sabha MPs Monsuk L Madibai, Kushum Rai and Gundu Sudharani.
They also took stock of the Numalighar Refinery today at a high-level meeting with the authority of the fourth oil refinery in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka