Physically challenged persons should be treated equally
Karimganj (Assam): Physically challenged persons should be treated equally in society with no discrimination or negligence towards them, Assam University Vice Chancellor Somnath Dasgupta said on Wednesday.
It is an onerous responsibility to deal with a disabled person with all sensibility and sensitivity and for that one should have adequate skills, Dasgupta said while inaugurating a two day long national workshop cum sensitization programme on Media Accessibility.
The workshop, organized by the department of Mass Communication in collaboration with Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Mumbai, will develop the proficiency of students to deal with the disabled.
Addressing the assembly of teachers, resource persons, research scholars and students, Dasgupta underlined the importance of media accessibility and said the physically challenged persons also had the right to access all sorts of information.
He pointed out that there was an urgent need of changing the general mindset of people towards a physically disabled person.
AYJNIHH Progamme Coordinator Dr PJ Mathew Martin said that notwithstanding technological advancement and advent of digital technology, information was still inaccessible to the differently-abled citizens.
Media professionals had to understand the need to reach the entire population and the physically challenged or impaired could not be sidelined, considering the humanistic aspect involved, Martin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi