Physically challenged persons should be treated equally
Karimganj (Assam): Physically challenged persons should be treated equally in society with no discrimination or negligence towards them, Assam University Vice Chancellor Somnath Dasgupta said on Wednesday.
It is an onerous responsibility to deal with a disabled person with all sensibility and sensitivity and for that one should have adequate skills, Dasgupta said while inaugurating a two day long national workshop cum sensitization programme on Media Accessibility.
The workshop, organized by the department of Mass Communication in collaboration with Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Mumbai, will develop the proficiency of students to deal with the disabled.
Addressing the assembly of teachers, resource persons, research scholars and students, Dasgupta underlined the importance of media accessibility and said the physically challenged persons also had the right to access all sorts of information.
He pointed out that there was an urgent need of changing the general mindset of people towards a physically disabled person.
AYJNIHH Progamme Coordinator Dr PJ Mathew Martin said that notwithstanding technological advancement and advent of digital technology, information was still inaccessible to the differently-abled citizens.
Media professionals had to understand the need to reach the entire population and the physically challenged or impaired could not be sidelined, considering the humanistic aspect involved, Martin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees