Physically challenged persons should be treated equally
Karimganj (Assam): Physically challenged persons should be treated equally in society with no discrimination or negligence towards them, Assam University Vice Chancellor Somnath Dasgupta said on Wednesday.
It is an onerous responsibility to deal with a disabled person with all sensibility and sensitivity and for that one should have adequate skills, Dasgupta said while inaugurating a two day long national workshop cum sensitization programme on Media Accessibility.
The workshop, organized by the department of Mass Communication in collaboration with Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Mumbai, will develop the proficiency of students to deal with the disabled.
Addressing the assembly of teachers, resource persons, research scholars and students, Dasgupta underlined the importance of media accessibility and said the physically challenged persons also had the right to access all sorts of information.
He pointed out that there was an urgent need of changing the general mindset of people towards a physically disabled person.
AYJNIHH Progamme Coordinator Dr PJ Mathew Martin said that notwithstanding technological advancement and advent of digital technology, information was still inaccessible to the differently-abled citizens.
Media professionals had to understand the need to reach the entire population and the physically challenged or impaired could not be sidelined, considering the humanistic aspect involved, Martin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report