Physically challenged persons should be treated equally
Karimganj (Assam): Physically challenged persons should be treated equally in society with no discrimination or negligence towards them, Assam University Vice Chancellor Somnath Dasgupta said on Wednesday.
It is an onerous responsibility to deal with a disabled person with all sensibility and sensitivity and for that one should have adequate skills, Dasgupta said while inaugurating a two day long national workshop cum sensitization programme on Media Accessibility.
The workshop, organized by the department of Mass Communication in collaboration with Ali Yavar Jung National Institute for the Hearing Handicapped (AYJNIHH), Mumbai, will develop the proficiency of students to deal with the disabled.
Addressing the assembly of teachers, resource persons, research scholars and students, Dasgupta underlined the importance of media accessibility and said the physically challenged persons also had the right to access all sorts of information.
He pointed out that there was an urgent need of changing the general mindset of people towards a physically disabled person.
AYJNIHH Progamme Coordinator Dr PJ Mathew Martin said that notwithstanding technological advancement and advent of digital technology, information was still inaccessible to the differently-abled citizens.
Media professionals had to understand the need to reach the entire population and the physically challenged or impaired could not be sidelined, considering the humanistic aspect involved, Martin added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog