Pilotless aircraft to fly over Kaziranga Park
Jorhat: A pilotless aircraft will keep a vigil on the Kaziranga National Park where animals are in disarray after a large part of the world famous sanctuary was flooded, and also to help deal with poaching.
Secretary of the National Tiger Conservation Authority, Rajesh Gopal, said here today the step has been taken after a team of the authority, which would fund the project, conducted an aerial survey last week and found that the situation was critical with nearly the entire park flooded.
"We hope that this use of a pilotless aircraft will help tackle both flooding and poaching in and around the World Heritage Site Park," Gopal said.
NTCA will fund the project with the help of Assam Government`s Forest Department and it will be executed by Wild Life Institute of India.
The remote-controlled aircraft, which can fly over the park continuously for four hours, is sound-less, pollution free and will carry sophisticated, high power and high range cameras.
The aircraft will be pressed into service during any emergency or for any requirement of the park and it will click photographs within the forest area and outside.
"This will help the park authorities to know and trap any anti-social element trying to commit crime while before and during the floods, necessary precautionary measures can also be taken," Gopal said.
Another team of experts will arrive here from New Delhi within a day or two for detailed survey and study.
During the floods, the animals usually move to the highlands in neighbouring Karbi Anglong district and the aircraft will also help the park authorities in tracking and monitoring the animals, Gopal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre