PM will endeavour to work for Assam`s development
Guwahati: Claiming that Assam was like home to him, Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Wednesday said he would endeavour to work for the development of the state that he has been representing in the Rajya Sabha since 1991.
Briefly addressing the Congress Legislature Party (CLP) in the Assembly premises here, Singh said Assam was like home to him and expressed his gratitude to the MLAs here for giving him scope to work for the state.
Stating that he has been working for the progress of the state along with the rest of the country, CLP sources quoted the Prime Minister as stating that a lot of work still needed to be done and he would endeavour towards it.
Singh also assured to look into the need for preventing erosion by the river Brahmaputra in the state and increasing the MLA Local Area Development Fund amount as raised by ministers Ajit Singh and Gautam Roy, respectively, the sources said.
The Prime Minister had come on a three-hour visit to Guwahati to file his nomination papers for the Rajya Sabha seat from Assam for the fifth time following expiry of his present term on June 14. Singh left for Delhi by the special plane in which he had come here.
Polls for two Rajya Sabha seats which will fall vacant in Assam, would be held on May 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145