Police fire in air to quell dam protest in Assam
Chauldhowa: Police resorted to
lathicharge and fired in the air here today to disperse
anti-dam protesters who blocked NH-52 on the border of
Lakhimpur-Dhemaji districts in Assam and pelted stones at
security force and public vehicles.
No injuries were reported, official sources said.
The administration of the twin districts earlier
appealed to the protesters to withdraw their 10-day long
agitation to allow movement of vehicles between Assam and
Arunachal Pradesh through National Highway-52, the sources
When they did not heed to the appeal, the security forces
attempted to physically remove the agitators protesting
against the construction of the 2000-MW Lower Subansiri
hydro-electric project near Lakhimpur on the border of Assam
and Arunachal, they said.
The demonstrators then pelted stones at the vehicles
belonging to the CRPF, police and public, besides oil tankers
damaging several of them.
In a bid to control the situation, police
resorted to lathicharge and fired in the air to disperse the
mob, the sources said.
The police also dispersed the protesters at Pohumara,
Boginadi and Gogamukh in both the districts and arrested over
200 picketers along with their leaders.
The arrested leaders include those spearheading the
agitation -- Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti`s president Raju
Bora, its vice president Bedanta Gogoi, Asom Jatiyabadi Yuva
Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) Lakhimpur unit secretary Saurav Das
and Takam Mising Porin Kebang (TMPK) publicity secretary Dilip
Stating that the picketers would be released,
Lakhimpur Deputy Commissioner Anwaruddin Choudhury said legal
action would be taken against the leaders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam