Police fire in air to scare mob, 5 personnel injured
Rangia (Assam): Police fired in the air to quell a mob who pelted stones at the security men injuring five of them in the silk town of Sualkuchi in lower Assam`s Kamrup (Rural) district Friday evening.
Protesting that the silk thread brought in from other parts of the country was affecting the Assamese unique golden Muga Silk and white Paat silk industry, the local people burnt the imported silk thread, police sources said.
Trouble began when the protesters forcibly brought out silk clothes from shops and attempted to set them ablaze triggering clash between the people and the shop owners, the sources said.
When police tried to prevent the people from burning the clothes, the mob pelted stones at the police injuring five of them.
To control the situation, police fired 15 rounds in air, Additional Superintendent of Police Hemanta Das said.
Local people, mostly engaged in the Assam silk worm rearing and weaving industry in Sualkuchi have been agitating for some time against the use of outside silk by traders for preparing traditional attires as it was cheap and had a better finish than the local silk varieties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report