Police lathicharge AIUDF supporters in Assam
Barpeta (Assam): Police on Saturday lathicharged protestors belonging to Assam`s principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) at lower Assam`s Barpeta district.
Hundreds of AIUDF supporters had carried out a march at Mandia under Baghbar assembly constituency in protest against alleged corruption in the social welfare department, Barpeta Additional Superintendent of Police Rosie Kalita said.
The protestors were marching towards the Child Development Project Office at Mandia when cane wielding policemen stopped them. Police also arrested three AIUDF members, Kalita said.
However, there were no reports of any serious injury to any person.
Kalita said, "We had to lathicharge to control the mob. Moreover, the protestors had not even taken any permission from the district administration for their agitation."
On the other hand, AIUDF MLA Sherman Ali said, "We had already taken permission from the Deputy Commissioner of Barpeta. We are surprised why the police had attacked the innocent people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!