Police lathicharge AIUDF supporters in Assam
Barpeta (Assam): Police on Saturday lathicharged protestors belonging to Assam`s principal opposition party All India United Democratic Front (AIUDF) at lower Assam`s Barpeta district.
Hundreds of AIUDF supporters had carried out a march at Mandia under Baghbar assembly constituency in protest against alleged corruption in the social welfare department, Barpeta Additional Superintendent of Police Rosie Kalita said.
The protestors were marching towards the Child Development Project Office at Mandia when cane wielding policemen stopped them. Police also arrested three AIUDF members, Kalita said.
However, there were no reports of any serious injury to any person.
Kalita said, "We had to lathicharge to control the mob. Moreover, the protestors had not even taken any permission from the district administration for their agitation."
On the other hand, AIUDF MLA Sherman Ali said, "We had already taken permission from the Deputy Commissioner of Barpeta. We are surprised why the police had attacked the innocent people."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata