Police lathicharge during anti-encroachment drive
Rangiya: Police on Saturday resorted to lathicharge when they faced resistance during an anti-encroachment drive in Lampi area of Kamrup Rural district of lower Assam, official sources said.
Kamrup Rural Deputy Commissioner SK Roy told a news agency that police personnel had gone to the spot to demolish a building constructed by alleged encroachers from the West Garo Hills district of neighbouring Meghalaya.
"However, the encroachers tried to prevent the police from carrying out the demolition work," Roy said, adding that police then resorted to lathicharge to disperse the crowd.
While Roy said nobody was injured in the lathicharge, locals alleged some people sustained injuries though their numbers are yet to be ascertained.
"Additional forces have been rushed to the spot. The structure demolished today was being constructed to serve as an administrative centre of West Garo Hills district," Roy added.
The situation in the area was now under control though tension prevailed, sources said.
Both Roy and Superintendent of Police Partha Sarathi Mahanta are camping in the Lampi area to monitor the situation.
Lampi has been in the news for the past few months over alleged encroachment by people from Meghalaya.
The Assam-Meghalaya Border Suraksha Samiti had held a 500 hours road blockade in the area in March to protest against the alleged encroachment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof