Police secure leads in Guwahati attack
Guwahati: Police have secured certain leads on Saturday evening`s grenade attack on CRPF personnel in the city, where security has been beefed up since the incident.
Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police A P Tiwari told PTI a Chinese grenade was used in the attack. "We have some leads regarding the attack and in a day or two we will be able to finish our investigation."
He said officers-in-charge of various police stations in the city have been directed to sort out places where there is threat perception. Besides, security checks have been strengthened and intelligence further upgraded.
Asked about the involvement of anti-talk faction of ULFA in the grenade attack at Paltan Bazar that claimed the life of one CRPF personnel and left 12 injured, he said every time there was any such incident, the outfit immediately owned responsibility.
"We will have to verify all things and complete investigation before we can say anything," he said, adding the CRPF personnel who were attacked were not on duty and were unarmed.
Tiwari claimed that cadres of militant outfits were finding it difficult to operate in Guwahati due to increased surveillance by the police.
"In the last two months we have arrested many cadres of not only ULFA but also of Manipur-based Peoples` Liberation Army and some other groups. In many instances, militants now use the city only as a transit point," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read