Political conspiracy behind Goalpara violence: Tarun Gogoi
Guwahati: Dubbing the violence in Assam`s Rabha Hasong Autonomous Council (RHAC) areas as a `political conspiracy`, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Wednesday accused opposition parties of encouraging the perpetrators.
"There are political forces who are instigating them. But I do not want to name them," Gogoi told reporters here.
"How did hundreds of people suddenly come out with swords, sharp weapons and sticks. Who organised them? It was not voluntary boycott of the polls, but something attempted by use of force," the chief minister said.
Stating that the opposition did not put up candidates for the panchayat polls in RHAC areas, he said "They are not comfortable with decentralisation of power. Why have the opposition not condemned those who attacked polling booths?" Gogoi questioned.
Asked directly if he was accusing opposition parties of encouraging Rabha Hasion Joint Action Committee supporters who attacked the polling booths, Gogoi said, "I am saying that the opposition is encouraging them a hundred per cent."
Questioned why he termed each incident of violence as a political conspiracy, the chief minister said "Political conspiracy is always there. I am not pointing to political conspiracy only in the case of the violence in Goalpara."
Gogoi said "most of the people who lost their lives were innocent people, while the leaders who incited them remain scot-free."
He said that despite yesterday`s violence, peaceful polling was reported from 68 per cent of the polling stations in the RHAC areas of Goalpara and Kamrup Rural districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH