Possible mid-air collision averted over Guwahati
Mumbai: A possible mid-air collision involving an IndiGo aircraft bound for Guwahati from Dibrugarh with 179 passengers onboard was averted due to an alert by the air traffic control that there was an "intruder" aircraft at 30,000 feet.
IndiGo said the flight had an advisory triggered by Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS).
"IndiGo flight 6E - 206 with 179 passengers onboard en route from Dibrugarh to Kolkata had a Resolution Advisory (RA) triggered by TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System). Resolution Advisory was triggered while descending at 1507 pm," the airline said in a statement.
TCAS is an on-board equipment that advises pilots about the traffic in the proximity of the aircraft and also tells pilots the avoidance action (Resolution Advisory) to maintain desired separation between the aircraft.
The incident was reported to Tezpur radar and thereafter normal flight was resumed, it said.
However, ATC sources said the the advisory was issued to the Indigo flight due to a defence exercise going on there.
"Some defence exercise involving fighter jets was going on due to which the advisory was issued to the pilot," ATC sources told PTI here tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you