Possible mid-air collision averted over Guwahati
Mumbai: A possible mid-air collision involving an IndiGo aircraft bound for Guwahati from Dibrugarh with 179 passengers onboard was averted due to an alert by the air traffic control that there was an "intruder" aircraft at 30,000 feet.
IndiGo said the flight had an advisory triggered by Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS).
"IndiGo flight 6E - 206 with 179 passengers onboard en route from Dibrugarh to Kolkata had a Resolution Advisory (RA) triggered by TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System). Resolution Advisory was triggered while descending at 1507 pm," the airline said in a statement.
TCAS is an on-board equipment that advises pilots about the traffic in the proximity of the aircraft and also tells pilots the avoidance action (Resolution Advisory) to maintain desired separation between the aircraft.
The incident was reported to Tezpur radar and thereafter normal flight was resumed, it said.
However, ATC sources said the the advisory was issued to the Indigo flight due to a defence exercise going on there.
"Some defence exercise involving fighter jets was going on due to which the advisory was issued to the pilot," ATC sources told PTI here tonight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Universities should be bastions of free speech, debate: President Mukherjee
- Vodafone launches 4G services in Haryana; get 20 GB data at just Rs 999
- Shahid Afridi virtually ruled out of lone T20 against England
- iBerry Auxus 4X with 4GB RAM launched in India at Rs 15,990
- OMG! UP politician calls traffic cop 'gunda' for doing his duty – WATCH Viral Video