Powerful IED recovered in Sibsagar
Sibsagar (Assam): A powerful Improvised
Explosive Device(IED), planted by suspected anti-talk ULFA militants, has been recovered near a gas pipeline between two tea gardens in Assam`s Sibsagar district today.
Patrolling Army personnel of 99 Regiment recovered the powerful bomb, weighing more than three kilograms, from Teokghat area under Sonari police station of Charaideo sub-division, official sources said.
The bomb was placed near a pipeline supplying gas to two gardens - Aideopukhuri and Aideobari - and was suspected to be planted by ULFA militants in retaliation of the encounter with police on May 12 last in which a militant was severely injured.
Security forces pointed out that the ULFA has stepped up its activities in the district and had served extortion notices to several individuals and organisations.
The IED was later defused by army`s bomb defusal squad, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees