Powerful IED recovered in Sibsagar
Sibsagar (Assam): A powerful Improvised
Explosive Device(IED), planted by suspected anti-talk ULFA militants, has been recovered near a gas pipeline between two tea gardens in Assam`s Sibsagar district today.
Patrolling Army personnel of 99 Regiment recovered the powerful bomb, weighing more than three kilograms, from Teokghat area under Sonari police station of Charaideo sub-division, official sources said.
The bomb was placed near a pipeline supplying gas to two gardens - Aideopukhuri and Aideobari - and was suspected to be planted by ULFA militants in retaliation of the encounter with police on May 12 last in which a militant was severely injured.
Security forces pointed out that the ULFA has stepped up its activities in the district and had served extortion notices to several individuals and organisations.
The IED was later defused by army`s bomb defusal squad, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez