Powerful IED recovered in Sibsagar
Sibsagar (Assam): A powerful Improvised
Explosive Device(IED), planted by suspected anti-talk ULFA militants, has been recovered near a gas pipeline between two tea gardens in Assam`s Sibsagar district today.
Patrolling Army personnel of 99 Regiment recovered the powerful bomb, weighing more than three kilograms, from Teokghat area under Sonari police station of Charaideo sub-division, official sources said.
The bomb was placed near a pipeline supplying gas to two gardens - Aideopukhuri and Aideobari - and was suspected to be planted by ULFA militants in retaliation of the encounter with police on May 12 last in which a militant was severely injured.
Security forces pointed out that the ULFA has stepped up its activities in the district and had served extortion notices to several individuals and organisations.
The IED was later defused by army`s bomb defusal squad, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Eye on China? India to buy four P-8I aircraft from US for maritime surveillance over Indian Ocean Region
- Terrorist captured in J&K's Kupwara district is Pakistani national from Lahore: Report
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook