Powerful IED recovered in Sibsagar
Sibsagar (Assam): A powerful Improvised
Explosive Device(IED), planted by suspected anti-talk ULFA militants, has been recovered near a gas pipeline between two tea gardens in Assam`s Sibsagar district today.
Patrolling Army personnel of 99 Regiment recovered the powerful bomb, weighing more than three kilograms, from Teokghat area under Sonari police station of Charaideo sub-division, official sources said.
The bomb was placed near a pipeline supplying gas to two gardens - Aideopukhuri and Aideobari - and was suspected to be planted by ULFA militants in retaliation of the encounter with police on May 12 last in which a militant was severely injured.
Security forces pointed out that the ULFA has stepped up its activities in the district and had served extortion notices to several individuals and organisations.
The IED was later defused by army`s bomb defusal squad, sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing