Prafulla Kumar Mahanta AGP prez after 11 years
Guwahati: Prafulla Kumar Mahanta, Assam`s two-time chief minister, on Thursday returned as president of Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) after a hiatus of nearly 11 years.
Mahanta, the AGP founder president defeated firebrand fellow MLA Padma Hazarika by 37 votes in a closely fought election during the day.
Mahanta secured 211 votes in the polls held today here at the AGP headquarters here while Hazarika bagged 174 votes, party spokesman Kamala Kalita told reporters here.
AGP`s serving president Chandra Mohan Patowary had opted out of the fray citing lack of consensus.
Atul Bora(Junior), considered close to Hazarika, was elected working president of the party defeating Rajya Sabha MP Kumar Dipak Das, who was backed by Mahanta.
Bora secured 225 votes as against 157 votes by Das.
This is the first time that AGP is holding comprehensive organisational elections at all levels following recommendations of a panel headed by senior party leader Hitendranath Goswami.
Mahanta, who was president of All Assam Students Union during the 1979-85 anti-foreigners agitation, had formed AGP along with his colleagues of the student body and signed the Assam Pact with the then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi.
Following it he had led AGP to a historic victory in the 1985 Assam assembly polls and became the youngest chief minister in the country at the age of 34.
He had served as chief minister from 1985 to 1990 and was leader of the opposition from 1991 to 1996 when the state was ruled by the Congress. Mahanta donned the mantle of the chief minister for a second time from 1996 to 2001 when the party made a comeback in 1996 as part of a five party alliance.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...