Prafulla Mahanta steps down as AGP president
Guwahati: Taking responsibility of his party`s debacle in the recent Lok Sabha elections, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Monday stepped down as party president.
"I have tendered my resignation taking full responsibility for the party`s debacle in recent Lok Sabha, panchayat, and municipal elections," Mahanta told PTI after tendering his resignation at the party`s executive meeting.
The former Assam chief minister tendered his resignation to party`s working president Atul Bora (Jr) during the meeting and left the party headquarters at Ambari here immediately.
"I will remain in the party and continue to perform my role and responsibilities as an MLA in the Assembly," the two-time chief minister said.
AGP had contested 12 of the 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam but failed to win a single seat.
Asked about the party`s future, Mahanta said, "There are several committed leaders in the party and we will work unitedly to strengthen it from within so that we can emerge stronger in the future."
The demand for Mahanta`s resignation as party chief was raised after the party`s debacle in the 2011 Assembly polls when the AGP won only 10 seats losing the status of Principal Opposition Party in the Assembly to AIUDF.
Several senior AGP leaders, including Union Minister of State with Independent charge for Sports and Youth Affairs Sarbananda Sonowal, had left the party to join the BJP.
Among other prominent party leaders who joined the BJP before the last Lok Sabha polls include former president and minister Chandra Mohan Patowary and former Ministers Hiten Goswami and Atul Bora (Sr).
Mahanta, party MLA from Baharampur, was the chief minister of the state from 1985-1990 and again from 1996-2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections