Prafulla Mahanta steps down as AGP president
Guwahati: Taking responsibility of his party`s debacle in the recent Lok Sabha elections, Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) leader Prafulla Kumar Mahanta on Monday stepped down as party president.
"I have tendered my resignation taking full responsibility for the party`s debacle in recent Lok Sabha, panchayat, and municipal elections," Mahanta told PTI after tendering his resignation at the party`s executive meeting.
The former Assam chief minister tendered his resignation to party`s working president Atul Bora (Jr) during the meeting and left the party headquarters at Ambari here immediately.
"I will remain in the party and continue to perform my role and responsibilities as an MLA in the Assembly," the two-time chief minister said.
AGP had contested 12 of the 14 Lok Sabha seats in Assam but failed to win a single seat.
Asked about the party`s future, Mahanta said, "There are several committed leaders in the party and we will work unitedly to strengthen it from within so that we can emerge stronger in the future."
The demand for Mahanta`s resignation as party chief was raised after the party`s debacle in the 2011 Assembly polls when the AGP won only 10 seats losing the status of Principal Opposition Party in the Assembly to AIUDF.
Several senior AGP leaders, including Union Minister of State with Independent charge for Sports and Youth Affairs Sarbananda Sonowal, had left the party to join the BJP.
Among other prominent party leaders who joined the BJP before the last Lok Sabha polls include former president and minister Chandra Mohan Patowary and former Ministers Hiten Goswami and Atul Bora (Sr).
Mahanta, party MLA from Baharampur, was the chief minister of the state from 1985-1990 and again from 1996-2001.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared