President Pranab to visit Assam from May 13
Guwahati: President Pranab Mukherjee will be on a two-day visit to Assam from May 13 to give away the Asom Ratna, Srimanta Sankaradeva Awards and to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University.
This will be Mukherjee`s maiden visit to the state after assuming the office of the President. On May 13, he will confer the Asom Ratna Award for 2012 posthumously to Jnanpith winner Indira Mamoni Raisom Goswami, official sources said on Saturday.
He will also give away the Srimanta Sankaradeva Award for 2008 to renowned film actress Sharmila Tagore at the same ceremony to be held at Pragjyoti ITA Centre for Performing Arts at Machkhowa, Guwahati from 4 pm.
Governor JB Patnaik, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and Cultural Affairs Minister Pranatee Phukan will also be present at the award ceremony.
The President will then attend the closing ceremony of the Golden Jubilee celebrations of Pandu College in Guwahati on the same day at 5.30 pm, the sources said.
The next day on May 14, Mukherjee will leave for Silchar in south Assam to address the 13th Annual Convocation of Assam University, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested