Prime accused in molestation case brought to Guwahati
Guwahati: The prime accused in the July 9 molestation case, Amar Jyoti Kalita, was today brought back to Guwahati from Varanasi, where he was caught by a special investigation team of Assam police.
The police team and Kalita reached here in a flight from Kolkata at around 6 pm this evening.
Tight security arrangements were made at the airport, official sources said.
Superintendent of police (Operations) Ranjan Bhuniya, who led the Assam police team to Varanasi, told newsmen at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi airport that a five-day transit warrant had been secured from Varanasi CJM court and based on it Kalita has been brought to Guwahati.
Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police A K Tiwari told PTI that Kalita is likely to be produced in court today or tomorrow.
"If there is time we will produce him before the court today. Or else, it will be done tomorrow," Tiwari said.
Kalita, a former government employee who was absconding since the incident, was held at Varanasi on July 23 by the Uttar Pradesh police. With his arrest 14 of the 17 identified in the incident have been taken into custody.
Of the 14 in custody, eight - including the reporter of a local TV channel Gaurav Jyoti Neog who filmed the incident, have been remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video