Prime accused in molestation case brought to Guwahati
Guwahati: The prime accused in the July 9 molestation case, Amar Jyoti Kalita, was today brought back to Guwahati from Varanasi, where he was caught by a special investigation team of Assam police.
The police team and Kalita reached here in a flight from Kolkata at around 6 pm this evening.
Tight security arrangements were made at the airport, official sources said.
Superintendent of police (Operations) Ranjan Bhuniya, who led the Assam police team to Varanasi, told newsmen at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi airport that a five-day transit warrant had been secured from Varanasi CJM court and based on it Kalita has been brought to Guwahati.
Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police A K Tiwari told PTI that Kalita is likely to be produced in court today or tomorrow.
"If there is time we will produce him before the court today. Or else, it will be done tomorrow," Tiwari said.
Kalita, a former government employee who was absconding since the incident, was held at Varanasi on July 23 by the Uttar Pradesh police. With his arrest 14 of the 17 identified in the incident have been taken into custody.
Of the 14 in custody, eight - including the reporter of a local TV channel Gaurav Jyoti Neog who filmed the incident, have been remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note