Prime accused in molestation case brought to Guwahati
Guwahati: The prime accused in the July 9 molestation case, Amar Jyoti Kalita, was today brought back to Guwahati from Varanasi, where he was caught by a special investigation team of Assam police.
The police team and Kalita reached here in a flight from Kolkata at around 6 pm this evening.
Tight security arrangements were made at the airport, official sources said.
Superintendent of police (Operations) Ranjan Bhuniya, who led the Assam police team to Varanasi, told newsmen at the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi airport that a five-day transit warrant had been secured from Varanasi CJM court and based on it Kalita has been brought to Guwahati.
Kamrup Metro Senior Superintendent of Police A K Tiwari told PTI that Kalita is likely to be produced in court today or tomorrow.
"If there is time we will produce him before the court today. Or else, it will be done tomorrow," Tiwari said.
Kalita, a former government employee who was absconding since the incident, was held at Varanasi on July 23 by the Uttar Pradesh police. With his arrest 14 of the 17 identified in the incident have been taken into custody.
Of the 14 in custody, eight - including the reporter of a local TV channel Gaurav Jyoti Neog who filmed the incident, have been remanded to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days