Prime accused in multi-crore scam raided
Guwahati: The residence of R H Khan, prime accused in the multi-crore fund diversion scam in North Cachar Hills Autonomous Council, was on Thursday raided by Assam Police`s Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau.
A team of 15-member Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Bureau, led by Superintendent of Police Raunaq Ali Hazarika, began the raid at 9 am at the residence of the accused located in Tarun Nagar area of the city here.
Hazarika said that some documents were seized from the residence and the raid was still continuing.
Khan, currently lodged in Guwahati Central Jail, was arrested in 2009 after the multi-crore scam of diversion of development fund allotted to the N C Hills Autonomous Council to militant outfit Dima Halam Daoga (Jewel) came to light.
The scam was investigated by the National Investigating Agency (NIA) and it subsequently filed a chargesheet in connection with this case.
The case was later handed over to CBI who arrested Khan, then an official of the state Social Welfare department.
Raids were also conducted earlier in the various residences of Khan and his relatives with huge amounts of cash, jewellery and documents recovered.
In a particular raid, huge amount of cash amounting to several crores was found hidden within the walls of Khan`s residence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Truck set on fire by angry villagers after they saw blood spilling out of it, found 30 cows dead
- Want to book DDA community halls? Now, you can do it in 15 minutes - Know how
- Five dead, 20 injured as truck collides with tanker in UP's Lucknow - Know what happened
- BJP MP Maheish Girri to file defamation case against Arvind Kejriwal?
- Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo sends Portugal to pre-quarters - All details here