Prime accused in Silchar gangrape case held
Silchar: In a major breakthrough police have arrested the prime accused in the alleged gangrape of a student of Silchar Women`s College here.
"We managed to nab the prime accused Dibyendu Sekhar Kar, a lawyer by profession, from Borkhola about 25 km from here late last night," Silchar superintendent of police Diganta Bora said.
Several prominent organisations and NGOs had staged vehement protests in the last few days to demand arrest of the prime accused and three others in the sensational gangrape that took place on August 11.
The girl, a degree student of Silchar Women`s College and hailing from Uzan Bazaar area of Guwahati, was forcibly picked by four persons and taken to the remote Kumbhirgram airport road and allegedly gangraped.
The accused had threatened her of dire consequences if she reports to police, but after arrival of her mother and sister from Guwahati she filed an FIR with the Silchar police station on August 14.
The police have also launched a massive manhunt for the other three accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Harbhajan Singh to sponsor kit for disabled cricketers of India
- Maharashtra B.Ed CET Results 2016 to be declared on Thursday (June 30). Log on to bed.mhpravesh.in
- Afghan President calls for joint action against terrorism, condemns Istanbul attack
- West Bengal madrassa board wants vocational courses
- Rio Olympic 2016: IOA taking steps to nullify Zika virus threat on Indian contingent