Prime accused in Silchar gangrape case held
Silchar: In a major breakthrough police have arrested the prime accused in the alleged gangrape of a student of Silchar Women`s College here.
"We managed to nab the prime accused Dibyendu Sekhar Kar, a lawyer by profession, from Borkhola about 25 km from here late last night," Silchar superintendent of police Diganta Bora said.
Several prominent organisations and NGOs had staged vehement protests in the last few days to demand arrest of the prime accused and three others in the sensational gangrape that took place on August 11.
The girl, a degree student of Silchar Women`s College and hailing from Uzan Bazaar area of Guwahati, was forcibly picked by four persons and taken to the remote Kumbhirgram airport road and allegedly gangraped.
The accused had threatened her of dire consequences if she reports to police, but after arrival of her mother and sister from Guwahati she filed an FIR with the Silchar police station on August 14.
The police have also launched a massive manhunt for the other three accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!