Prime accused in Silchar gangrape case held
Silchar: In a major breakthrough police have arrested the prime accused in the alleged gangrape of a student of Silchar Women`s College here.
"We managed to nab the prime accused Dibyendu Sekhar Kar, a lawyer by profession, from Borkhola about 25 km from here late last night," Silchar superintendent of police Diganta Bora said.
Several prominent organisations and NGOs had staged vehement protests in the last few days to demand arrest of the prime accused and three others in the sensational gangrape that took place on August 11.
The girl, a degree student of Silchar Women`s College and hailing from Uzan Bazaar area of Guwahati, was forcibly picked by four persons and taken to the remote Kumbhirgram airport road and allegedly gangraped.
The accused had threatened her of dire consequences if she reports to police, but after arrival of her mother and sister from Guwahati she filed an FIR with the Silchar police station on August 14.
The police have also launched a massive manhunt for the other three accused.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened