Prisoner stabs policeman, inmate in Assam jail
Dhubri: A prisoner serving life term in Dhubri district jail in Assam stabbed a police constable and a fellow inmate Sunday seriously injuring them, the police said.
During head count in the jail here, lifer Manabendra Baruah attacked constable Rituparna Chakraborty with a knife he was working with for cutting bamboo and cane to make furniture there.
While the policeman sustained wounds in his neck and head, another lifer Abdul Baten was injured when he tried to save Chakraborty, the sources said.
Baruah later said he attacked Chakraborty as he used to taunt him regularly in the jail.
A case has been registered against Baruah who had been shifted to Dhubri jail last year from Bongaingaon district jail after his conviction for life in 2008.
The constable was initially admitted to a hospital in nearby Gauripur but was referred to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital as his condition was serious.
Baten was admitted in the Gauripur hospital and his condition was stated to be out of danger, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees