Probe begins into the death of Italian tourist in Odisha
Cuttack: An investigation into the death of an Italian tourist during treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital here was today initiated by Cuttack Collector Girish S N.
After Sebastian Rasorio Contiguglia (63) died while undergoing treatment at the hospital here on the night of December 13, it was alleged in media reports that the death was due to "negligence" in the hospital.
The central division revenue divisional commissioner (RDC) Arvind Padhee had directed the district collector to conduct an administrative probe into the foreigner`s death and ascertain whether the allegations of negligence were true.
Accordingly, the collector made a field enquiry at the hospital along with amicus curie Pravat Dash and two advocates. The superintendent, administrative officer and emergency officer of the hospital were present when the collector went to the hospital.
Sources said that the collector would verify certain records in the hospital and if necessary would summon and record statements of some witnesses.
While the hospital authorities continued to maintain that the foreigner was provided the best available treatment in the hospital, volunteers working there alleged that the Italian was actually neglected and he died due to lack of care and treatment.
The Italian tourist, who was in the state to visit Puri and Konark, was suffering from encephalitis after which he was admitted in the Cuttack hospital on November 26 in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown