Probe begins into the death of Italian tourist in Odisha
Cuttack: An investigation into the death of an Italian tourist during treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital here was today initiated by Cuttack Collector Girish S N.
After Sebastian Rasorio Contiguglia (63) died while undergoing treatment at the hospital here on the night of December 13, it was alleged in media reports that the death was due to "negligence" in the hospital.
The central division revenue divisional commissioner (RDC) Arvind Padhee had directed the district collector to conduct an administrative probe into the foreigner`s death and ascertain whether the allegations of negligence were true.
Accordingly, the collector made a field enquiry at the hospital along with amicus curie Pravat Dash and two advocates. The superintendent, administrative officer and emergency officer of the hospital were present when the collector went to the hospital.
Sources said that the collector would verify certain records in the hospital and if necessary would summon and record statements of some witnesses.
While the hospital authorities continued to maintain that the foreigner was provided the best available treatment in the hospital, volunteers working there alleged that the Italian was actually neglected and he died due to lack of care and treatment.
The Italian tourist, who was in the state to visit Puri and Konark, was suffering from encephalitis after which he was admitted in the Cuttack hospital on November 26 in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list