Probe begins into the death of Italian tourist in Odisha
Cuttack: An investigation into the death of an Italian tourist during treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital here was today initiated by Cuttack Collector Girish S N.
After Sebastian Rasorio Contiguglia (63) died while undergoing treatment at the hospital here on the night of December 13, it was alleged in media reports that the death was due to "negligence" in the hospital.
The central division revenue divisional commissioner (RDC) Arvind Padhee had directed the district collector to conduct an administrative probe into the foreigner`s death and ascertain whether the allegations of negligence were true.
Accordingly, the collector made a field enquiry at the hospital along with amicus curie Pravat Dash and two advocates. The superintendent, administrative officer and emergency officer of the hospital were present when the collector went to the hospital.
Sources said that the collector would verify certain records in the hospital and if necessary would summon and record statements of some witnesses.
While the hospital authorities continued to maintain that the foreigner was provided the best available treatment in the hospital, volunteers working there alleged that the Italian was actually neglected and he died due to lack of care and treatment.
The Italian tourist, who was in the state to visit Puri and Konark, was suffering from encephalitis after which he was admitted in the Cuttack hospital on November 26 in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh