Probe begins into the death of Italian tourist in Odisha
Cuttack: An investigation into the death of an Italian tourist during treatment at SCB Medical College and Hospital here was today initiated by Cuttack Collector Girish S N.
After Sebastian Rasorio Contiguglia (63) died while undergoing treatment at the hospital here on the night of December 13, it was alleged in media reports that the death was due to "negligence" in the hospital.
The central division revenue divisional commissioner (RDC) Arvind Padhee had directed the district collector to conduct an administrative probe into the foreigner`s death and ascertain whether the allegations of negligence were true.
Accordingly, the collector made a field enquiry at the hospital along with amicus curie Pravat Dash and two advocates. The superintendent, administrative officer and emergency officer of the hospital were present when the collector went to the hospital.
Sources said that the collector would verify certain records in the hospital and if necessary would summon and record statements of some witnesses.
While the hospital authorities continued to maintain that the foreigner was provided the best available treatment in the hospital, volunteers working there alleged that the Italian was actually neglected and he died due to lack of care and treatment.
The Italian tourist, who was in the state to visit Puri and Konark, was suffering from encephalitis after which he was admitted in the Cuttack hospital on November 26 in critical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days