Probe ordered into death of three infants in Assam
Guwahati: The Assam Human Rights Commission (AHRC) on Wednesday ordered a magisterial inquiry into the death of three infants, including a pair of twins, in the Gauhati Medical College Hospital (GMCH) recently.
AHRC chairman Justice Aftab H Saikia and member Tarun Phookan ordered the inquiry into two separate cases leading to the death of the infants due to the alleged neglect by some doctors and nurses of GMCH`s Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics.
In the first case, the wife of Bidyut Ranjan Bharali who was admitted for her delivery in the department on March 3 developed complications leading to an operation which resulted in the death of the baby.
In the second case, a woman Mamoni Thakuria delivered twin babies on May 28 last but they fell ill immediately after their birth. The attending doctors and nurses allegedly did not attend to the babies even after being repeatedly approached by the family members.
The AHRC passed two separate orders directing the Kamrup (Metro) Deputy Commissioner to inquire into the cases and submit the respective reports within one month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir LIVE: Violence at student organisations' protest in Coimbatore, 5 students injured
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog