Protest against move to carry turbines for power project
Guwahati: The All Assam Students` Union (AASU) and 26 other organisations on Wednesday launched protest in four districts against NHPC`s reported move to carry turbines for construction of the Lower Subansiri Hydro-electric Power Project.
The protests were organised at Lakhimpur, Dhemaji, Dhubri and Bongaigaon opposing construction of the 2000 mw project at Gerukamukh, AASU President Sankar Prasad Roy said.
"At no cost, will AASU allow the movement of turbine carrying vessels to the project site and this move will be resisted thoroughly," he said.
The Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti, who was also against the construction of the power project, has rushed a team of its members to Dhubri and asserted that they would not allow transportation of the turbines to the project site.
"This is the last warning to the NHPC. We`ll stop transportation of the turbines to the project site at any cost," KMSS General Secretary Akhil Gogoi said.
He alleged that NHPC authorities had gone back on the decision taken at a meeting held between the two sides in February last that no work would be undertaken at the project site till all the contentious issues involving construction of the project were resolved, Gogoi said.
Two cargo shops `M V Jal Taranga` and `M V Tidal Wave`, carrying equipment worth Rs 25 crore have been stationed at Hatichar village in Dhubri near the Indo-Bangladesh border since yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP