Protests across Assam over Pritam murder case
Guwahati: Protesting against "inaction" of railway authorities and the Bihar government in the murder case of Silchar-born student Pritam Bhattacharjee, the All Assam Students` Union (AASU) on Friday blocked roads and burnt effigies of Railway Minister Mukul Roy.
AASU activists organised demonstrations in all 27 districts of the state.
"Almost a week has passed since Pritam`s body was recovered. However, no action has been taken either by the railways or the Bihar government to nab the culprits," AASU general secretary Tapan Kumar Gogoi told PTI.
In Dibrugarh district, the National Highway 37 was blockaded by agitators for over an hour, while Roy`s effigies were burnt in all the districts and sub-divisions.
Besides handing over the case to CBI and action against culprits, AASU has also demanded safety of rail passengers going through Bihar.
"Earlier also there have been numerous instances of harassment of passengers from the north-east while traveling by rail through Bihar. Despite repeated pleas over years, no safety measures have been taken," Gogoi said.
The AASU leader also accused the Assam government of turning a blind eye to the issue.
"The Tarun Gogoi government has failed to put any pressure on the Centre, the Railway Ministry and the Bihar government on the issue," Gogoi said.
The body of Pritam, who hails from Silchar in Barak Valley, was found in a badly mutilated condition on June 16 from the railway track under Kataria over bridge, 12 km from Naugachia station in Bihar.
The PhD scholar, who had boarded the Assam-Avadh Express from Guwahati on July 8, went missing from Naugachia station the next day.
Miscreants had snatched his laptop and camera during the two-minute halt at the station and the 25 year-old youth chased them on the platform.
He was missing since then till his body was recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea