Protests against rise in crime in Assam
Haflong: Students and general public on Wednesday came out on the street protesting against the spurt in crime against women in Dima Hasao district.
The protesters also gave a memorandum to the district authority to take immediate steps to prevent such incidents.
Over a thousand people with strong presence of the student community gathered at the Lal Field here in the morning and protested and sought justice on growing incidents of gang-rape, kidnap and other offences in the entire district.
In a memorandum submitted to Dima Hasao Deputy Commissioner Barun Bhuyan, the protesters demanded immediate arrest of the culprits and employment opportunities to the victims besides financial compensation.
Some of the organisation that took part in the protest include Hmar Woman Association, Dimasa Mothers Association, Bieate Mothers Association and Student Bodies of Dima Hasao District.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Barack Obama's half-brother says he will vote for Donald Trump
- Three Ukrainian soldiers killed in separatist east
- Panama papers: SC seeks Centre, RBI's response in four weeks
- Isolate those who harbour terrorists: India to international community
- Nine Filipino militants may face death in Malaysia: lawyer