Protests against rise in crime in Assam
Haflong: Students and general public on Wednesday came out on the street protesting against the spurt in crime against women in Dima Hasao district.
The protesters also gave a memorandum to the district authority to take immediate steps to prevent such incidents.
Over a thousand people with strong presence of the student community gathered at the Lal Field here in the morning and protested and sought justice on growing incidents of gang-rape, kidnap and other offences in the entire district.
In a memorandum submitted to Dima Hasao Deputy Commissioner Barun Bhuyan, the protesters demanded immediate arrest of the culprits and employment opportunities to the victims besides financial compensation.
Some of the organisation that took part in the protest include Hmar Woman Association, Dimasa Mothers Association, Bieate Mothers Association and Student Bodies of Dima Hasao District.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire