Protests in Assam over alleged rape, murder
Guwahati: Police in Assam`s Lakhimpur district are investigating the alleged rape and murder of a woman who was found with multiple injuries and who later died in a hospital, a police official said Tuesday.
People from different walks of life Tuesday launched protests demanding stern action against the culprits.
Police said the incident took place Sunday. The woman was found with multiple injuries from near the Boginadi police station in the district.
Although she was sent to the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital for treatment, she succumbed to her injuries the same day.
"It is a murder case for sure and we have started investigation to find out the culprits. However, it is difficult to say whether the woman was raped or not," said Lakhimpur Superintendent of Police P.K. Bhuyan.
"We are waiting for the post-mortem report, which would confirm this," Bhuyan said.
He said the probe was taking time because there was no witness and the accused are yet to be identified. A search operation is on to identify the culprits.
"We could not record the statement of the victim as she was not in a position to talk when we rescued her," the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III