Protests in Assam over alleged rape, murder
Guwahati: Police in Assam`s Lakhimpur district are investigating the alleged rape and murder of a woman who was found with multiple injuries and who later died in a hospital, a police official said Tuesday.
People from different walks of life Tuesday launched protests demanding stern action against the culprits.
Police said the incident took place Sunday. The woman was found with multiple injuries from near the Boginadi police station in the district.
Although she was sent to the Gauhati Medical College and Hospital for treatment, she succumbed to her injuries the same day.
"It is a murder case for sure and we have started investigation to find out the culprits. However, it is difficult to say whether the woman was raped or not," said Lakhimpur Superintendent of Police P.K. Bhuyan.
"We are waiting for the post-mortem report, which would confirm this," Bhuyan said.
He said the probe was taking time because there was no witness and the accused are yet to be identified. A search operation is on to identify the culprits.
"We could not record the statement of the victim as she was not in a position to talk when we rescued her," the police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users