Rahul Gandhi`s remark on Ordinance childish: AGP
Guwahati: Asom Gana Parishad on Monday termed Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi`s controversial statement denouncing the Ordinance to protect convicted lawmakers as "childish".
"It is a childish remark by Rahul. He is a senior leader in Congress. Rahul and the prime minister are from the same party. There were many scopes to discuss among them earlier," AGP President Prafulla Kumar Mahanta said in a press conference here.
Talking about giving chances to lawmakers having cases registered against them, Mahanta said the party was against allowing convicted persons to contest election.
"Regarding the accused, it may be a different case. Many times, cases are politically motivated and are framed," Mahanta said giving examples of cases against political leaders during the emergency.
Emphasising the importance of regional parties in the country, he said AGP was discussing various possibilities with many regional parties across the country.
"We are holding a meeting of the regional parties on October 20 in Guwahati." Telugu Desam Party leader N Chandrababu Naidu and Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio would attend it, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!