Rail blockade in Assam disrupts train movement
Kokrajhar: Train services between Assam and rest of the country were disrupted on Tuesday for about seven hours following a 12-hour rail blockade by Bodo organisations demanding a separate state carved out of Assam.
Slogan shouting demonstrators squatted on the railway tracks with placards and prevented the movement of trains in Chirang, Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Kamrup districts, official sources said.
Major long distance trains like the Rajdhani, Northeast Express, Saraighat Express were delayed and controlled at different places from New Jalphiguri to Guwahati, railway sources said.
Hundreds of the bandh supporters squatted on the tracks from 6 AM at Basugaon railway station in Chirang district, various stations in Kokrajhar and Bongaigaon districts, besides at Rangia in Kamrup district, the sources said.
The blockade was, however, withdrawn at 1 AM after the agitationists were invited for tripartite talks in Delhi on February 21.
The 12-hour railway blockade was jointly called by the All Bodo Students Union (ABSU), Joint Action committee for Bodoland Movement (JACBM), Bodo People`s Progressive Front (BPPF) and NDFB( Progressive) demanding early creation of a separate state of Bodoland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?