Rail blockade in Assam disrupts train movement
Kokrajhar: Train services between Assam and rest of the country were disrupted on Tuesday for about seven hours following a 12-hour rail blockade by Bodo organisations demanding a separate state carved out of Assam.
Slogan shouting demonstrators squatted on the railway tracks with placards and prevented the movement of trains in Chirang, Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon and Kamrup districts, official sources said.
Major long distance trains like the Rajdhani, Northeast Express, Saraighat Express were delayed and controlled at different places from New Jalphiguri to Guwahati, railway sources said.
Hundreds of the bandh supporters squatted on the tracks from 6 AM at Basugaon railway station in Chirang district, various stations in Kokrajhar and Bongaigaon districts, besides at Rangia in Kamrup district, the sources said.
The blockade was, however, withdrawn at 1 AM after the agitationists were invited for tripartite talks in Delhi on February 21.
The 12-hour railway blockade was jointly called by the All Bodo Students Union (ABSU), Joint Action committee for Bodoland Movement (JACBM), Bodo People`s Progressive Front (BPPF) and NDFB( Progressive) demanding early creation of a separate state of Bodoland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt