Rattled AGP seeks re-poll using ballots
Guwahati: The Asom Gana Parishad (AGP) on Sunday made the bizarre demand for a re-poll using traditional ballots, saying that the Congress had rigged the electronic voting machines (EVMs) to win the Assam elections for the third straight time.
"Definitely there should be a re-election by way of ballots as we strongly believe the Congress party tampered and manipulated the electronic voting machines," two-time former chief minister and AGP founder president Prafulla Kumar Mahanta told journalists.
"We have formally apprised the Election Commission seeking a re-election in Assam," he said.
The Congress party, led by Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, pulled off an emphatic hat-trick by winning 78 of the 126 assembly seats on Friday. Its ally, the Bodoland People`s Party, (BPF) won 12 seats.
The AGP, which ruled Assam twice in 1985 and 1989, was decimated and managed to win just 10 seats this time, 14 less then what it had bagged in the 2006 assembly polls.
The other main opposition, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), won five seats, five less then what it got last time.
Among the prominent losers were AGP president Chandra Mohan Patowary and BJP state president Ranjit Dutta - both losing to the Congress. Even Mahanta lost in one of the two seats he contested from.
"How could the Congress candidates win with such huge margins," questioned Mahanta.
But Mahanta failed to give a convincing answer when asked how he won from one seat and nine other AGP candidates also emerged victorious.
"No, they (Congress) manipulated the EVMs in the other seats," the former chief minister said.
But the BJP rejected any such theories and conceded defeat.
"We respect the mandate of the people and maybe we failed to reach out to the voters," BJP state president Ranjit Dutta told journalists.
The Congress simply ridiculed Mahanta`s comments.
"By blaming EVMs and accusing us of manipulating, Mahanta is turning to be a big clown, nothing less than a comic character," a senior Congress leader said.
"Such statements are nothing but frustration and reflect how immature Mahanta and the other AGP leaders are," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered